PitaPata Dog tickers

Saturday, July 14, 2007

I'm Back!

Hey everyone,
I am back from my camping trip and it was so much fun. I really had a good time!

I picked up Sherman from the puppy-sitter and she gave him a glowing report I was very happy about that. She said that she was going to miss him. lol After that me and Sherman went to puppy class. It was a great class! Our CFR came from Colorado to lead our meeting and she did an awesome job. First we talked about problems some of the dogs were having and it was really interesting to hear all of her suggetions on fixing the problems. I also got to meet the two new babies that were picked up last week, Murray, and Maggie. They are siblings and are just the sweetest and cutest little pups. Murray is a darker red color and Maggie is a creamy carmel color, she is also as tiny as can be, and Murray is a really big guy and he is the fourth largest boy at birth. WHEW! Both did wonderful at the meeting! Anyway, we learned how to play with our dog on a long line. I loved learning that because I have never been shown it before. I loved the technique and when Barb took Sherman he did great. He was very responsive to her, and listened really well, and he really enjoyed the game. All the pups did great! Now I need to go out and get a long line, I have never really known how to use them before so never needed one. I am exited to be able to play outside with him and have more control over what he does! We also introduced the dogs to a weird surface. It was a piece of plywood and a 2x4 first we had the dogs just walk over them first and let the smaller pups sniff and investigate. Then the plywood was propped over the 2x4 like a ramp and the dogs walked over it again, and sniffed it again. Then she pulled the plywood over the 2x4 like a see-saw and the dogs walked over it again. This time a few of the dogs tried to walk around it, so Barb blocked one side and the raiser had to walk on the other to have the dog walk over it. Most of the dogs walked over it fine and then sped up on the other side when it went down. That is what Sherman did the first time so Barb had us do it again and the second time was great he didn't care that it was moving at all. All the dogs did great!

4 comments:

Emily and the Labradors said...

Welcome back! That sounds like a good puppy meeting... I guess we are lucky because Barb lives nearby and is available for lots of consults. She has made special trips to my house and my school to help me with the E-Man... she has really been helpful! She usually comes to one of our club meetings every few months to give the pups a once-over. I was wondering how often she saw the Utah pups...

Megan and Orleans said...

She comes about 4 times a year. At least that is how many times I have seen her since I moved here a year ago. I lOVE when she comes though. I learn something new everytime and I love how she works with the dogs, and then helps the raiser work them. She sure knows her stuff and can give many different options on fixing a problem.

Anna said...

ohh you guys are still missing out on Pat :) Ahhh I love it when she comes, even though I know lots of stuff and most of the stuff she says I already know from previous times ;) I usually can learn one or two things each time she comes!!!

Lisa and pups said...

Oh, I'm glad you had such a great time on your camping trip!

Sounds like Sherman had fun at his puppy raisers. And learning the long line really opens up some opportunities! EXCELLENT! YAY! Sherman for doing so well and learning so fast over the ramp!