PitaPata Dog tickers

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Making Progress

Fullerton is definitely making progress, unfortunately not on sleeping during the night. I have tried feeding the leash through the kennel and correcting him and that just makes him scream worse, I have been feeding and watering him every time in the kennel, I have tried ignoring him and he just goes on and on. And then after he has screamed for about an hour he finally quiets down but he still wakes me up to go potty 2-3 times a night and after he goes I put him back in the kennel and the screaming starts all over again. Any suggestions? I am open. :) I need sleep soon!

Other than that he is doing great. He is a very sweet puppy and such a cuddle bug. I was always sad that Spanky wasn't a huge cuddler. He put up with it because he loved me but he would never approach to cuddle. Every time I sit on the floor Fullerton comes over and crawls into my lap and falls asleep, this is when I usually catch a few Z's. It is so sweet. Too bad he won't fit in my lap too much longer. :) When he came he was 9 pounds, I weighed him on the bathroom scale yesterday and he is almost 16 pounds. I can't believe he has gained 7 pounds in a week and a half. But, I can tell he has gotten bigger. He is also getting the hang of loose leash walking and staying right next to me. He isn't perfect of course at the sight of a leaf, a bug, a pebble, a dirt clod, a crack in the sidewalk, etc, he stops to investigate. He is getting there though. :) He is also doing "sit" on his own about 87% without me helping him. YAY FULLER!! Now we are working on "down" and "stand" I am sure they will take a lot longer. Especially "stand" I don't think I have introduced that to any of my pups when they were this young. So we will see how it goes. And he loves the "come" command. He is really good at it and it isn't even for the food. I just say him name and he comes running before I even get the "come" out. He makes me smile. He is such an active and spunky puppy that he hates being forced to hold still, but he is getting a lot better at being quiet and still when I am on the computer, or phone or any other time I need him to chill. He is a very smart puppy. Our next puppy class is on Tuesday and our CFR is coming to check out all the pups. So Fullerton is going to meet her then. I think it will be a fun meeting. I am hoping to ask her about the kennel issues then, maybe she will have some more ideas for me to try. :) And then he is getting his first set of shots on Thursday, hopefully, Fullerton has been battling some diarrhea for about 5 days. He has been on the rice and cottage cheese for 4 days so I added about 1/4 cup of kibble to the rice last night and he was up all night having to go outside. It is pretty sad, so we are back on just rice. He is acting totally normal though, which is good. But, I don't know if the vet will give him his vaccs if he has diarrhea. Hopefully it clears up soon because it is getting gross. :) It has been a LONG time since I have had a sick puppy like this. I don't think Sherman or Spanky ever had diarrhea when I had them, come to think of it I don't think Adeline did either . . . maybe a little when she was in season. But still, I did not miss it! But Fullerton is a great puppy, I am so glad I get to raise him. :) Oh, and he knows his name. It makes me so happy, he looks at me when I say it. I think it took Tahoma (she was my other 3 syllable name) until she was at least 4 months old to respond to it. I was expecting the same thing from him but after only a week he knows it. :P

Here he is after crawling into my lap.
"I'M CRAZY!!!"
He is SO sweet when he is sleeping!!
And the Fullerton head tilt. So cute. I love when he does it!
And Videos. I find myself taking more videos of this dog than pictures. He is just so darn entertaining. The first one is him responding to his name, and then shows my goofball in action. He is so silly. The second on he is playing with a toy and then it shows his "come" too. The last one is him sitting. I am so proud of him, I think this is the earliest any of my pups has known sit reliably. That's about it for now. I will let you know how the meeting goes on Tuesday!

14 comments:

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

Fullerton is SO cute. :) It sounds like he is doing pretty well except for the crate part. I hope he decides to let you get some sleep soon. Holly did that too, but she gave it up after I ignored her for about a week. Good luck.

Lisa and pups said...

Oh my goodness - he is quite the character. I loved his bouncy after his name in the first video - that made me laugh out loud. And Ellie was really wanting to find out where the jingle was coming from! No suggestions on the crate issue... You're doing everything I'd do. Interested to hear what your CFR says or has any suggestions. His sit so ADORABLE! So smart! :)

thepuppyraiser said...

He is quite the character :) I love the video of him pouncing...hopefully he decides to start sleeping through the night real soon here!

Kim, Bethany and the girls.. said...

So when your CFR does come ask her about stuffed Kongs, or maybe your leader could get permission now for you to use them! That and covering the crate with a blanket or towel...

Bethany and Natara

Erin said...

ACK! I LOVE the first video!! That was waay to cute!!!!!!

As far as the crate, sounds like you have Rei! We finally just put her in a dark room, so that she could hear/see us, and ignored her. She would still scream, but the rest of us would be able to sleep. And eventually it took less and less time for her to quiet down.
Also have you tried a squirt bottle??

Madison said...

I was gonna tell you if he only has two tags you can put the velcro on the tags then hook them together and they don't jingle! It's so nice!

Sarah and the Pack. said...

Hmmm...covering the crate, squirt bottle...I think he is too young for a citronella collar...

What about putting something warm in there with him, like a warm towel or stuffed toy (if he won't eat it). It may be that he is lonely. As far as the food issue goes, ask about switching to Purina. 6 pups that have come this year that I know of had this same problem, but when they switched food it cleared right up!

Good luck!

Anna said...

Pomona was like that in the crate, too. I ended up putting her in the family room because I couldn't handle it, and our CFR put a citronella collar on her when she was 4mos.

And ug, I can understand the diarrhea thing, too. Pomona had that over Christmas. It was lovely.......

But Fullerton is such a doll. Oh man,I'm in love with him! He seems very enthusiastic about life. :)

Emily and the Labradors said...

Well, it does sound like he is making great progress! Except for the crate barking that is. Why is that such an ANNOYING problem? I second asking for approval for food stuffed kongs... that was the turning point for my little crate barker (who once barked for 90 minutes straight at school). I also like the idea of him sleeping in another room, except for the whole sick puppy thing. Much better to get him out than have to clean that situation up I'd day. I have been lucky to only have had one "sick puppy" and boy was it exhausting. I feel for you and your sleep. At least he is the most adorable puppy ever...

Rebecca and Sherman said...

For the crate try putting the radio on low so that he knows he is not alone. A clock that ticks also works really well. I have also put one of my old shirts that I wore around the house so that it smells like me or a blanket that had been on my bed in the crate so that they have “you” in their crate. This has helped for several of the puppies in our group.

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Oh gosh, that bed hop is hilarious! What a cute and silly boy. :) He seems smart to. I really hope he starts sleeping through the night for you, it seems like you've tried pretty much everything I've ever heard or tried.

Madison said...

He is SO cute in those videos!!!! Good luck on sleep! I keep crossing my fingers that I keep getting sleeping pups!

Emily said...

I just love Fullerton's coloring!! He is too cute :) I really hope that he is quite in the crate soon, and maybe your CFR will have suggestions for you. And I also hope he is feeling better soon, sick pups are no fun.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Fullerton! He's becoming quite the good puppy! I agree; doggy head-tilts are SO adorable! I abdolutely love that first video when he bounces after you call his name! He's such a character! About the crate...well...it takes time! Good luck!

Anna Marie