PitaPata Dog tickers

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

That's not right. . .

Yesterday was quite eventful for me and Sherman. Everything went normal in the morning, we got up, I took him outside, fed him breakfast and while he ate I hopped in the shower. It wasn't until I got out of the shower that I notices something not quite right. Sherman's right eye was all goopy and he could not open it, and it was all red and puffy. It took me a while to get GDB approval for a vet visit but as soon as I did I called my vet and made an appointment, they couldn't get me in until 4:50pm (I worked at five but took it anyway) Then I decided to call another vet that a lot of the pups in our group go to and they could be me in at 3:20pm so I took that one called my vet canceled and then waited to leave.

I only had to wait a few minutes in the waiting room at the vet before they took us to get Sherman weighed (53.1 pounds), took his temp. (didn't like that much) and stuck us in an exam room. The doctor came in and immediately said "Dog, what have you done to yourself!" (not exactly what I wanted to hear but, whatever) We went through the whole "yes, he was fine yesterday and I noticed it today" thing she poked around at his eye for a minute and then grabbed his leash and mumbled something about an eye stain and she rushed out the door with him. Ummm. . . . I sat there forever waiting for her to bring my dog back, wondering what the crap she was doing with him. Then she walked back in and told me what a pill he is. (GRRR!!, only I am allowed to call him a pill) And told me that she did an eye stain on him and didn't see any scratches on his eye. (I thought the whole time that it was a bug bite of some sort so that shot my theory out) But notices a small tear in his Conjunctiva (sp?) The fleshy stuff around the eye inside the lid and said that was irritating him. She put a steroid in his eye and prescribed him some eye gel stuff to put in his eye twice a day and gave us the dreaded e-collar since he would not leave his eye alone. He was pretty miserable yesterday and I felt so bad for him. I have never had a dog that has had to go to the vet other than general exams and vaccs so this was new. (I think all my other pups not going to the vet made up for this "special" visit for Sherman) The GDB vet staff was very helpful and worked with me wonderfully. Many, many thanks to them. It is also the first time I have ever had a dog wear an e-collar, it is pretty ridiculous looking. Sherman does not appreciate it at all.

My sister thought that name tag was funny. (If you watch Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium, you will get it.)
He is doing much better today and hasn't had to wear the cone at all. His eye is still pretty red, puffy and gooey but not nearly what is was yesterday. I am so glad he is looking better. :)

9 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh, poor Sherman! I have had to do the eye meds and it isn't very much fun. Hope he gets feeling better soon. Oh, and Patriot says hi!

Lisa and pups said...

Oh my goodness. Poor Sherman! I am glad he is doing much better today and doesn't have to wear that silly e-collar. They do look pretty ridiculous in those! HA - the tag was funny! Hope he starts feeling better soon. Do you have to do a follow-up visit?

Megan and Orleans said...

Nope no follow up. Just the eye drops for a week. I think I can start taking him out again tomorrow, he is looking much better and I don't think people will be grossed out by him anymore. :)

Emily said...

O, poor Sherman!! I hope he is feeling better soon.

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Aww Sherman!! I feel so bad for you! I hope you feel better soon.

Emily and the Labradors said...

Poor baby! I hope he continues to look and feel better. Doesn't sound like fun for anyone. Ellis was supposed to wear a cone after his neutering, but he totally freaked out about it and absolutely could not handle it!

Sarah and Romeo said...

Oh no! Poor Sherman. Although he did look quite silly in that e-collar. Yeah, I've never had one of my dogs wear one, the call for them has never come up. :) thank goodness!
You have to get approval from the office before you take him in?
Wow, I never knew that. That's interesting. KSDS wants us to take them in, then call them afterwords if its something really serious if not, I just write it in the puppy reports.
Well anyway, I hope Sir Sherman (say that 3 times fast :) is getting better.

Megan and Orleans said...

We have to get permission for anything other than the general exams and vaccs. Unless the dog in is distress or something major happens then we take them in and ask questions later. Since Sherman was acting normal and only had an icky eye I got permission first. :) I probably didn't explain that very well. Sorry but HTH.

Sarah and Romeo said...

Oh, Okay, that makes sense :)