PitaPata Dog tickers

Monday, December 3, 2007

Walking in a Winter Wonderland. . .

I love the snow! Sherman on the other hand was not a fan when he first saw it. (He is more interested in eating it.) It started snowing on Friday night and didn't let up until Sunday morning. Sherman was having some problems relieving in the cold, white stuff. When we got up early Saturday morning there was a good three inches on the ground. (by the time the snow stopped we had about six inches) I took him out to our usual place in the gravel (which was covered in snow) and I gave him the "do your business" command. He walked around in a circle and ate the snow as he went around. He did not even make an effort to go potty. I was getting frustrated and told him if he didn't go he would have to hold it for a long time. He still didn't go, so we left for our work meeting at 7am. He was good but fidgety all through the meeting and was doing a constant potty dance. We left at about 9:45 and I decided to stop by the house to see if he would go before puppy class. I stood out in the snow forever and still nothing. So, I told him he would have to wait until after puppy class if he didn't go. (I was determined to out-stubborn him until he went in the snow.) So off to puppy class we went. Sherman was a bit of a pill still doing the potty dance through puppy class.

It was a really neat puppy class though, because we did puppy handling while blindfolded. It was pretty neat to experience. :) I handled Sherman the first round and then past him onto a new raiser and she did really well with him. Also the "R" word (recall) came up during class and Sherman might be going with the next batch of pups :( so sad I wasn't even thinking about recall yet. Then I got thinking he is 10 1/2 months old now so in two weeks he will be 11 months old and that means in 6 weeks he will be a YEAR OLD! YIKES! The next puppy truck to Utah will come the end of March or early April which will mean almost exactly a year with my boy. It is still a while away, but I guess I should get my application in for my next pup. :( Now what should I apply for. . . I have missed my girls but Sherman is such a love that I may ask for another male. We will see. :) Oh, two of the pups from our group are in class now, Champ who I puppy sat a few times. He is an awesome dog and will be a great guide for his person. And Darwin who has been in training over two years, because he was specially trained to be a wheelchair guide. We are so excited for him finally getting to live with and help his person. Way to go Champ and Darwin!!!!

After puppy class I went home and tried to relieve Sherman again he still wouldn't go. I was getting so frustrated and knew he was going to have an accident. We went inside I gave him some water and then he went in the crate. We did this all day and he still didn't go. Finally yesterday morning he went pee. I was so happy he got a lot of praise. (And let me tell you it was like Lake Sherman) He seriously peed for about 5 minutes straight. (I may have given him tons of water yesterday to get him to go. :) But still no #2. He held that all Sunday and finally today i took him out and he did his #2 in the snow (that reminded me of the big Triceratops in Jurassic Park. lol) So I am sure he feels a lot better now and hopefully has learned that the snow is okay to potty in. And we don't have anymore issues like that. So Me 1 Sherman 0. I WIN!! (I about gave up, and almost shoveled a patch of gravel for him, but I resisted!!)

Here are a couple videos of Sherman in the snow. I think he likes it now. Sorry about the post about pee and poo. That is kinda gross, but hey, we are all dog people right. :) In the first one he is running around and then the second one he scared the horse that lives in the field next door and the horse started running. Sherman was staring at it, it was pretty funny. Also in the second one Sherman got on our tramp which he never gets on but I guess the snow makes it not bounce as much. ha ha

10 comments:

Lisa and pups said...

Oh, those videos are hilarious. Glad Sherman learned snow is okay to do his business in! :)

Emily and the Labradors said...

I want SNOW and a big yard! It looks like he had so much fun! I can't believe they they are already talking recall. We had some pups (2 in our club alone) that didn't make the fall recall even though they were old enough... so maybe they'll take Sherman's spot on the next truck and you'll get him a little longer!

Sarah said...

Those videos are priceless! Sherman is so funny! Waiting out the pottying isn't so much fun. I know when I took Jo to NYC I tried to wait her out to go on pavement and she ended up having an accident. But after that, she gladly went on pavement!

Sarah

Kasey and Blitz said...

Hehe, you're right, we ARE all dog people...Funny, I didn't even think twice throughout the whole explanation, and then you apologized and I realized that it didn't bother me! Pretty funny. I guess that has to do with the fact that we all pick it up once or twice a day!

Megan and Orleans said...

That would be great. They can take any dogs they want as long as Sherman can stay an extra month or two (or five or six) :) I think he may get skipped because he is still the youngest out of the older pups in the group. (if that made sense) But since he really doesn't have any major issues to work out, who knows.

Vanessa McMillan said...

Hey Megan, I was looking at Skipper and Evans Blog and saw that she had a site for Ashley so I looked at that and somehow found your site. I just wanted to say Hi and that I am glad things are going well with your puppy training stuff. Man you have been doing that forever now, that is so cool. Well hope things are going well and if you ever want to check out our blog just go to macawesomemcmillans.blogspot.com

MK said...

Yeah, we're definitely puppy people. The potty talk didn't bother me at all, I just found myself nodding in agreement. Haha!

Go you for waiting Sherman out. I am horrible with that... either that or my dogs have a heck of a lot of stubbornness. Edgar refused to poop on snow, but LOVED (to the point he would stop) to pee in snow piles. Dogs are weird.

And is your trampoline in the ground!? That's so cool.

Megan and Orleans said...

Ya, we used to have an above the ground tramp but my dad fell off and broke his jaw and got a concussion so he got rid of it because he didn't want the kids to get hurt. (ha ha) We finally convinced him to get an in the ground one (not as far to fall if that happens) It is pretty nifty, just dug a big hole and stuck it in. I like it in the ground. :)

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Great videos. I'm glad that Sherman finally realized that it's ok to go to the bathroom in the snow! Silly boy.

thepuppyraiser said...

I'm guilty of carrying on entire conversations about my dogs' relieving habits (umm...so maybe I'm a freak), so naturally I didn't think twice about your post :P

I love watching everyone's videos of their puppies in the snow! Adorable! I think my girls and I need a trip to Tahoe or something...