PitaPata Dog tickers

Monday, July 13, 2009

Staff Training Week

Training week was fun. We did a lot of get to know you games with the staff, and a lot of meetings. We did our blindfold activities and meals again and that is always an interesting experience. I really love our staff, everyone seems pretty chill and relaxed which is nice and there is not nearly as much drama as there was last year. I am having a blast.


During training week we went to JBA (Junior Blind of America in LA) which is the company that supports Camp Bloomfield. We had to get our ID tags and finish up paperwork and such. We started by cleaning out an office with stuff we needed to take back to camp. During that process a board that was leaning on the wall fell and caught me on the calf. It hurt so bad and I had to go to the nurse to get it cleaned out and bandaged. I now have a pretty gnarly scar on my leg, it was a pretty bad gash. Anyway, after that we went and got our ID badge photo done and Fullerton is in mine. Spanky was in my last one too. I really like my picture (I will have to scan it when I get home so all of you can see it.) :D Then I walked around the campus with Squirt and Burgess and got pictures of the dogs around campus. He is Fullerton by an elephant bush.


Here is Fullerton by a plaque for Norm Kaplan who was the second Camp Director for Camp Bloomfield.

Then we got into groups to practice skits and songs for campfire that night. My group did an elevator skit and donut song. . . can't really explain them but they are fun. :D Then we all played in the tactile playground. There is a lot of cool stuff in there. Like a bunch of stuff cemented into the walls that the kids can feel and different floor surfaces, jungle gym, slide, swings, rock wall (where some of the rocks make fun sounds when you grab them, we had fun with that) and a bunch of other stuff. Here is Burgess chilling on the stairs.


The we all went and talked with our bosses boss. Here is Burgess and Fuller during her talk, as you can see they were really interested in what she had to say. :D


Also, during staff training we had an over nighter on the beach. GORGEOUS!! I slept outside under the stars and it was wonderful. Anyway, when we first got there Taz (our camp director) had us hike up this super steep sand dune. It was fun but the dogs got a little too hot hiking up so we brought them back down and waited for everyone else to come down. Here is Fuller at the bottom waiting for everyone, he was one hot doggie and got lots of water when we got back to our campground.


And Burgess the handsomest dog ever. Everyone really loves him here. He is a fantastic dog and so much fun to have here. He just left to go back home and I know everyone is going to miss him.


And Fuller is ready for a good nights sleep after all that hiking.

That was pretty much our training week . . . more to come soon!

7 comments:

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

It's so weird to come to your blog and see Burgess pics. :)

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Looks like he had some fun,
I LOVE the last pictures:)

Toby's trainer

Brittany said...

Sounds like a great week! I love the pictures!

Miss Muddy Paws said...

I am so glad I found your blog! I love it! You are a very special person to raise guide dogs for the blind! I have always wanted to get involved in that one day.

As a fellow dog lover I wanted to let you know about a giveaway taking place on my blog for PUPCAKES! Fullerton would love them when he isn't working! :)


Here's the link to the giveaway:
http://thewetnose.blogspot.com/2009/07/more-birthdays-and-another-pupcake.html

Sierra Rose said...

Oh! Very cute head peeking out of your mobile house. I do that too...but my head is quite a bit smaller at the moment.
You are lovely! Training sounded FUN!

Come by for a visit if you like:
www.goldensierrarose.blogspot.com

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Emily said...

BURGESS!!! It looks and sounds like he had a blast :) Thanks for posting pictures of the big guy! Have fun at camp!

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Ahh look at Burgy! I'm so glad you all loved him and will miss him, but boy am I happy he's here in my room with me tonight! Definitely a lovable guy. :)