PitaPata Dog tickers

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The jacket story and a "what the. . . " moment

So all of you who guessed what was wrong with the pic got it right. :) So, Friday night I threw Shermans puppy coat in the wash, I always take the sleeve off when I wash the coat because I don't think it is machine washable, anyway I set it on top of the washer and went to bed. The next morning I must have slept through my alarm because when I woke up it was 30 minutes until puppy class (and it takes me 15 to 20 minutes to get to the place we were meeting.) I looked at the clock and jumped out of bed grabbed Sherman ran his outside and then got him fed, while he was eating I hopped into the shower. We ran back down to my room and I blew my hair dry while doing make-up and grabbing some clothes and putting them on. Then I ran upstairs, and outside and loaded Sherm into the car. I started pulling out when I realized I didn't have Shermans jacket. So I ran inside grabbed the jacket out of the washer and the sleeve on top. I slid the sleeve back on as I was running out of the door I got back into my car and draped the jacket over the A/C vent in my car as I drove to puppy class to try and dry it a bit. So he wore his jacket like that all through puppy class and I had no idea because he was being handled by other people and I was walking in the back with one of our new raisers getting her puppy next month. (She is very excited and talked to me a lot about the new puppy and hopes she doesn't ruin it. I am sure she will do great, she and her two boys are great with the dogs :) Anyway, After puppy class me and Sherm went straight to work. While we where at work I noticed a lot of people looking at Sherman and cocking their heads to the side. I just thought it was such an unusual reaction to Sherman that I had never seen before. So I look at Sherman thinking he had something on his face or something, nothing was wrong that I could see. I had a short shift so I was off at five and then we went home. When I got home I went to relieve him and took off his jacket and that is when I noticed that his guide dog sleeve was upside down. How embarrassing. I can't believe not a single person mentioned that it was upside down all day long. :)

Now for my "what the. . . " story. :)
Today at work I had this older gentleman come in and he started talking to me about guide dogs. We went through all the normal questions and then hit the #1 question that you get asked as a puppy raiser. "Isn't it hard to give them up?" I said "Yes, that is the hardest part but they have wonderful lives, and they are helping people who love and need them." Well this guy does the whole "Oh, I could never give them up" spiel and then this is where he put a twist on the conversation. He said "I could never give them up." (I am sure you have all heard that, but have you heard this next part?) "Do you wanna know why?" I said "sure, why?" He pulls out his camera phone and flips to a picture and shows the phone to me. I look at the picture and it is of a Siamese cat curled up into a ball. Then he said that it was a picture of his dead cat in the freezer. After further examination of the photo I concluded that the cat was in fact, dead and in a freezer. WHAT THE HECK. Why in the world would you show someone a picture of a dead cat in the freezer. Anyway, he goes on to tell me that he loves his pets so much that after they pass he can't bear to part with them and he actually has quite a few pets in his freezer. (He also showed me a pic of a min pin and a fluffy thing (could not quite make that one out) that were also in his freezer) I finally separated myself from him and went over to Sherman and gave him a big hug and told him that as much as I love and adore him he would not have a spot in my freezer. Sorry to those of you who may have pets in the freezer but that is a bit too weird for me. What does that guy tell his grand kids, "Yes you can have some ice-cream it is just behind the dead cat." I am officially creeped out, that was just about the most bizarre experience I have had while socializing my dogs.

12 comments:

Hobbes Dogs said...

Ya, you definitely win for weirdest story I've heard. Thanks for making me laugh out loud at school.

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier said...

Oh my gosh! I actually had a similar experience rently. I was talking to some family and they had a "friend" (more like aquaintence) that had a huge freezer just for his pets! It really creeped me out!

That is so funny about the vest! Nobody even mentioned it?!

~Taelor and Eagle~

Brittany said...

Wholy cow!! That is super creepy....and really gross. I have hear of those people though. Ugh, that is so disterbing!

Emily said...

haha. How fun about Sherm's jacket. And I don't even know what to say about that guy. Umm.. weird?

Emily and the Labradors said...

That hilarious about the jacket! It's like going through your day with a tag hanging out and nobody telling you all day!

And beyond creepy about the cats in the freezer... that's even worse that people who get their pets taxidermied (is that a word? preserved and stuffed?). Good grief. Indeed, I love all my animals, and they always have a place in my heart, but they most certainly do not always have a place in my freezer! Heck, I'd have to buy a big commercial freezer to fit them anyway! eeek!

Lisa and pups said...

WOW - that's SO weird. You took the cake on that one! How funny.

Natalie said...

Whoa....that is definitely the creepiest thing I have ever heard anyone do with their dead animals.

Carrie and Waffle said...

OMG! Freak'n weird, why share that with folks. Its ok to be a bit crazy, but when you share your neurosis (sp?)with the public....

talk about crazy cat people

Hannah and Hayden said...

That is just to creepy. I mean animals in the freezer to weird. A thats funny about the puppy coat thing.

Anna said...

WOW!!! That's too funny!!!

Mosier 'n Me said...

Oh my! THat is weird! :(

Gerda said...

i couldn't believe the story as I read it. I was going thru blah blah same thing we all hear with our puppies but then you got to the freezer comment and I laughed so hard. I can honestly say, that no one has ever approached me with that excuse. Glad you were able to get away. I will have the "talk" with Irish that no matter how much i love him, he is not going in my freezer.