PitaPata Dog tickers

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Do Dogs Have Nightmares?

Last night at about 3:22 I woke up to the sound of Fullerton screaming bloody murder. I have never heard him (or any dog for that matter) make a sound like that in my life. I leaped out of bed and flicked on the light switch and looked at Fullerton who was laying on his dog bed and had already stopped screeching. He did look like he had seen a ghost though. I went over to him and sat on the floor next to his bed and started petting him. He slowly crawled into my lap until he was in a sitting position with his head on my shoulder. It was so pitiful and I felt so bad for him. I have no idea what happened. He has been fine and dandy all day and acting totally normal. It scared me so badly that I could not get back to sleep at all. So, I am wondering, do dogs have nightmares?

6 comments:

Lisa and pups said...

WOW... glad Fullerton is okay now. Interesting question. I would guess yes they could. After all, it seems like they have other types of dreams. Why wouldn't they have nightmares? Sorry he had such a bad dream. Hopefully tonight will be much better.

Infrequent Flyers said...

I know Cabana definitely dreams--she seems to do a lot of running and eating in her dreams because I can see her moving her legs and chomping her jaws while she sleeps. So I guess dogs can have bad dreams, too. Poor little guy Fullerton! I hope you both get a better night's sleep tonight. And sweet dreams for both of you!

Lacey said...

Yes.

Mitch and Julimae said...

Sad! I know my dog, Cruiser, has nightmares. Usually he whimpers and kicks. Once in a while he will bark. It is sad that Fuller had one! I always wonder what dogs dream about.........

Brittany said...

I think Hobbs or Patriot did this one night! I woke up because I heard one of the yelp. But when I turned on the light they both looked like they were asleep so I assumed I had dreamed it.

Glad Fullerton is ok! Hopefully this will be his only nightmare!

Alyssa said...

Yeah. I think they can. Sadie scared me one night because she all-out howled. Usually though, she makes hiccupping/whimpering noises. I always wake her up when she starts that, because if I don't, she gets louder and seems more agitated.