PitaPata Dog tickers

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Encounters

The last few days I have had some. . . well, interesting encounters with people I thought that I would share:

The first happened at a movie theater with my friend a few days ago. We were standing in line waiting to hand the ticket taker our tickets when the manager (who I had noticed staring at me for the last few minutes) walked up and said:

Manager: I am sorry Ma'am but we do not allow dogs in here unless they are guide d. . . (trailed off) Oh! (Finally spotted the bright green jacket on the yellow dog, then he stalked off.)

I looked over at my friend, we both were laughing. And I said: "Maybe he should have looked at the dog before opening his mouth and making himself look like an idiot!"

The second one I was by myself in the grocery store when this lady came up and said:
Lady: I didn't know we could bring our dogs in this store.
Me: Umm. . . he is not a pet dog he is a service dog
Lady: You don't look disabled
Me: I'm not, he is in training to be a guide dog for the blind
Lady: They use pit bulls!?!?
Me: No, he is a Labrador retriever (who looks absolutely nothing like a pit bull)
Lady: I didn't know they used labs. I thought they just used those big dogs with the pointy ears.
Me: German Shepherds? They do, but they also use labs and golden retrievers.
Lady: No those Great Danes
Me: (cricket, cricket)
Lady: Ya, those really really big ones, don't they have to be big to be guide dogs? (Sizing up my dog with her eyes.)
Me: Well, ya but not that big. My puppy is only six months old so he is still growing. (I think someone has been horribly misinformed)
Anyway that is how the conversation started, the rest I was trying to explain service and guide dogs to her. She eventually got it but I am not going to write the whole thing. :)

11 comments:

Brittany said...

Some people are just not the brightest! Thats one thing I miss about raising; the comments in public that are completely random and show just how stupid people can be!

Tabatha said...

lol its amazing after how many years there has been guide dog and service dog pups people still just do not get it do they...

Sarah and the Pack. said...

Wow! The conversations we have with people. I think the worst was when I pulled up in the drivethru at McDonalds, and the lady leaned out to take my money, saw Sterling, and went: OMG, you are BLIND?!

Yeah. I think sometimes people just do not think before they open their mouths.

Erin said...

Ha ha sounds like you have been meeting some of the same people that I have lately! lol

Princess Coral said...

HaHaHa... If I got a Great Dane as my guide, I'd have to ride on it!!! Not a bad idea:) ... Just kidding!

The one I often get are
"Can he tell green & red lights?"
"Can he read street signs?" (I wish!)

Anna said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's just plain epic. I talking to the people who spout off their mouth before thinking....

OSU 98 said...

Good lord...clueless people...

Lisa and pups said...

OH my gosh!!!! I loved your "(cricket, cricket)" That just sent me into such a laughing fit my stomach hurts.

WOW - it is sad though how misinformed she was. Glad you are good humored about it though! :D You get some really funny people interactions, that's for sure!

Gerda said...

he is such a handsome young man. It has been so fun to watch him grow up and notice that no matter how big he gets his face and eyes are the same. He is so sweet.

To add to the group. One of the last times I took Irish (CCI pup in training) out, I got out of my car, and then got irish out and someone said, "how nice that you had a dog to help you "see things and share life with you". While the sentiment was there, i had just left the drivers seat of a car. Did she think I was driving and Irish was guiding me? Anyways, in true puppy raiser style I said, yes he is a wonderful dog and hopefully someday he will be able to help someone enjoy their lfe.

Emily and the Labradors said...

Boy, you've had some "good" ones lately! I actually haven't gotten any odd comments lately... is it possible that my community is finally getting it? I doubt it... but maybe!

Martha G said...

Wow! Just, wow! The things I have to look forward to!