PitaPata Dog tickers

Friday, February 29, 2008

Borderline

I was not nervous about Shermans evaluation until today. Me and Sherman had a very "off" day. We just didn't mesh like we usually do and he would not listen too me. Perfect timing for him to act like a teenager. Anyway, all during work I was frustrated because we were not having a good day, and customer after customer kept complaining at me. GRR! I got off work at four and me and Sherman went home. We went to my room and he settled on his bed right away and slept for an hour before I got him up to feed him his dinner. I decided to take him for a short walk and everything seemed to come together again. He was very focused on me and listened to my commands, he was so much better and I was relieved! We left for our eval shortly after that.

He did really well at the evaluation we practiced appropriate play with a bunch of different toys, did obedience, watched a couple videos and then had a little one-on-one with our CFR. Sherman did wonderfully on the obedience first we walked in a circle so that she could see how the dogs walked on a loose leash, we did some commands at the same time. Then she had us weave in and out of the dogs in a circle and Sherm did fabulously at that too, only trying to sniff a cute little girl once (sorry Angel). Then our CFR had each dog do a down one at a time so she could watch each dog do it, and then a sit from a down, then we did stand. (Stand is one that I have not worked on much, I need to get on that) After obedience we watched a couple videos. The first was about what the training experience is like when the dogs are on campus, it was really interesting. The second was about the original guide dog teams for The Seeing Eye. The narration was hysterical, this was also a really good video. After that we had our individual time with our CFR. She went around to each dog and discussed their weight, and answered any questions and discussed any problems the dogs had. She also asked for all the dogs 12 months and older to wait till last because she wanted to discuss recall with us. *GULP* I took Sherm outside to potty really quick before I went back in. I started chatting with the other raisers in my group who have older pups while we waited for Barb to talk to us. Sherman was dead last. First she said he was a touch chunky, she said he looks really good but in guide dogs eyes he could loose a pound or two. So his food got cut down a touch, he won't be happy about that but, oh well. We will try to get rid of that spare tire he's got. :) Then she was asking me how his relieving habits are, and a few other questions. The last thing she said was that he was on the borderline to be on the April or May recall. She said there are quite a few males around Shermans age that could go back in April so after she talks to Mick at GDB and figures out how many spaces need to be filled she will go over her list and figure out who is going back. So I should find out for sure next Thursday. She did ask if I didn't mind holding onto him a few more months. Of course I said "NO!" So, I still have to wait for the official word but I have a feeling that Sherm might be sticking around for a few more months. (I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that) Sherman did marvelous overall though. I am very proud of him. He is now sacked out on his bed, snoring quite loudly! :)

8 comments:

Emily and the Labradors said...

Way to go Sherman (and Megan)! Your evaluation sounds much more thorough than what we had a few weeks ago, but then again that was the first time we even had something called an evaluation, so maybe she is easing us into it ;) I'll be holding my breath for the recall list next week too!

Sarah and Romeo said...

ha ha! spare tire! oh how funny! Oh I hope you can keep him for a bit longer too! Cobra will be going back in April also, so I feel your pain if he gets chosen to be on the "list"

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

Good job Sherman!

I'll be waiting for the word on Thursday. : )

Lisa and pups said...

YAY what a great night. Sounds like he did famously at the evals. :) Good luck that you get to keep him a few more months and help teach that new little one the ropes!

Natalie said...

Yay, good job Sherman and Megan! Glad to hear you had a good eval, and fingers crossed that Sherm gets to stay a while longer!

Emily said...

Good job Sherm!! Glad he was a good boy. Hope you get to hold on to him until the next truck. Overlapping pups would be fun :)

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier said...

Yay Sherman!!! Eagle feel for you man, he had his food cut down some, too. It would be nice if you could keep him longer, but it is probably a compliment if they want him back sooner. All in all, great job!
~Taelor and Eagle~

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Glad Sherman did well on his evals! Let's hope the news about recall ends up being good!