PitaPata Dog tickers

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wash day!

About once a month I put all of my dogs toys in the dishwasher for a deep clean. My sister walked in the door as I was loading all the toys and said, "You have a problem when your dog toys fill an entire "economy sized" dishwasher." Well, I have duplicates of A LOT of toys because without fail, when one disappears and I finally get around to replacing it, the lost one mysteriously appears again. (I think my dogs have figured that one out and are now hiding them so they get more toys.) I thought I had gathered all the toys, I searched my room, the kitchen, and office, and my car. (all the places that he frequents) Then I loaded all the toys and started the dishwasher. Sherman was walking around my room looking for his toys. I told him sorry they were all being washed. After ten or so minutes I look back at Sherman and he is chewing on a bone that I had been looking for for a few weeks. HUMPH silly dog. So far he has pulled a total of three toys from around my room and I have no idea where they all came from. :)



15 comments:

Brittany said...

Wholy Cow that is a ton of toys!! I can't let Hobbs see or he will be super jealous!

Hobbs has the Nylabone with the blue rubber on it. I had to cut the rubber off though because Hobbs was eating it and I didn't want to get rid of it the same day I bought it.

Mosier 'n Me said...

That IS ALOT of toys! :)
But, I'm sure he loves 'em all! :)

Erin said...

You could throw his toys in the washing machine....thats what we do at daycare all time...just an idea.

Emily and the Labradors said...

And suddenly, I feel like a bad puppy raiser! And no, it's not because Sherman has more toys (I think Angel could give him a good run for his money), but because I have NEVER washed the toys... and some of them date back 4 puppies... I may have a weekend project here. Not sure if I should do dishwasher or washing machine...

Megan and Orleans said...

LOL. Don't feel bad. I didn't start washing mine until a few months after I got Sherm so some of my toys were over 4 years old. Someone mentioned washing their toys every week on an e-mailing list I am on. I thought weekly was excessive so I decided on monthly. I would worry about the toys banging around in my washer but if it works at Erins daycare I suppose I could try that next time. Thanks!

Carrie and Waffle said...

Wow now Lani wants to know how to get to your house!

Hobbes Dogs said...

We do them in the washing machine at work as well. I do worry a little bit about how good it is for the washer, but that's what I'm told to do, and so far it hasn't caused any problems.

Sarah said...

That's a good idea. I try to wash all of mine between puppies.

Sherman is one lucky dog!

Anna said...

Wow! That's a lot of toys :) Lynn's not that jealous though! She has quite a few here too! (We're going for every GDB approved toy!!) You guys get off easy :) My family's a little too old fashioned to have a dishwasher (which I really doubt my mom would let me use it if we did!) and I'm not so sure about the washing machine...I've always hand scrubbed mine :)

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

I can't believe you still have Kongs. Those would have been gone a long time ago if they were at my house. I think Sherm is rich in NylaDinosaurs. He sure knows how to get what he wants!

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Holy cow! That is a lot of toys! Spike is a bit jealous, Chappelle keeps stealing his toys and hiding them in the backyard. ;) I should wash toys more often...

lindsey said...

The thing with the washing machine is...the high heat of the dryer in the dishwasher is what really sterilizes the toys...plus it brings back the baked in natural flavor of the toys...you don't get that in the washing machine. :)

Emily said...

Wow. I thought I had a lot of toys. My dogs also know how to hide them, get new ones, and the old re-appear.

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier said...

WOW... That is like twenty times more toys then Eagle has. We only have 5! Eagle must feel like a deprived child...lol
~Taelor and Eagle~

Sarah and Romeo said...

You know? I never thought of doing that, but now that I think on it, sounds like an excellent idea! *goes around searching for the "special toys" to wash*