PitaPata Dog tickers

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Another at the Rainbow Bridge

Here is a post I wasn't planning on writing for another 30 years or so. I am sure you are all familiar with this poem:

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Well, Prudy passed away today. I am absolutely heart broken as she was and always will be my baby. I got a call from a woman while I was unpacking things at my apartment. She told me that Prudy had been hit by a car and she thought she was dead. Of course I lost it and started wailing while I was on the phone with her, I asked where she was, while I grabbed Sherman, my keys and wallet and was headed out the door. My little sister was headed to my apartment so that I could help her get her books for her college classes and so I called her and told her to head home. The whole drive I was wondering the kind of scene I was going to drive up on. All the worst going through my head. I was wondering if I really wanted to see her in whatever shape she was in. I drove up and saw her lying on her side on the sidewalk, and she looked oddly peaceful. None of what I imagined was there, no blood, no guts, she was just laying there as if she was asleep. I got out of my car and slowly walked up to her, the people that lived in the house that she got hit in front of where there and were telling me what had happened and the driver had left to get her kids from school. (turns out the lady is in our neighborhood and is friends with my mom and has a kid in my moms class) I sat down next to her and started stroking her. A few minutes later my sister drove up and got out of the car and came over. The people there got a blanket to wrap her in and loaded her into my car. I drove to the vet, the whole drive I almost expected her to lean over the seat and rest her head on my shoulder like she always did. The vet was very nice and came out with one of the vet techs to help me get her out. He knows me and Prudy pretty well. He is a good friend of Dads and I worked for him in 8th grade. Also Prudy has allergies so we have been there quite a bit for follow up exams. He asked which dog it was and when I said Prudy he, and a few of the nurses said, "Aww, not Prudy." While they were getting her out of my car the vet tech kept telling me how sorry she was and how she had always thought Prudy was such a sweet happy dog. That made me feel a little better knowing that she had touched more lived than just those in my family. They are going to have her cremated and the people who do the cremation are going to make a mold of her paw, I thought that was really nice.

I am going to miss my girl so much. I am going to miss her happy face and wagging tail when I get home, her constantly staring at me while I eat, the crazy puppy mood she gets into every once in a while, her biting my ankle when she gets excited, the way she would jump with me on the trampoline, the way she would follow me around the house no matter where I went, the clicking of her nails on the floor, the way she felt when I gave her a big bear hug, the weight of her head on my shoulder as I would drive, how excited she would get when you would say "Do you wanna eat," or "Lets go for a ride." and how she knew exactly what those two phrases meant, the way she would hog the entire bed, the way she would move the sheets and blankets so that they were the perfect position for her (and always off of me), how she would calm me down after a stressful day, how her ears where darker than the rest of her, how she is so patient with my puppies and with small children, how she has a way of making everyone love her, how expressive her eye-brows are, how gentle she is when she licks your face, how she snorts and grunts and rolls around on her back when she is happy, how she begs for belly rubs, how she gets so exited when she gets told she is a good girl, and so much more. I know that she is happy and she was not in pain. I can't wait to see her again, but until that day comes a big void has been left in my life. Prudy will always have a piece of my heart and I will never forget her.

16 comments:

Emily and the Labradors said...

Oh Megan. I am so very, very sorry. Tears are falling here in Colorado for our friend we have never met and her dog who we never will. I know there is nothing I can say to help, but I hope I can be as strong and brave as you are being when the time has come for one of my dogs to go to the rainbow bridge. I love all the wonderful memories you wrote about her. She'll be waiting for you.

Natalie said...

Megan, I am so, so sorry to hear about Prudy passing away. It's so unfair when a life gets cut short, and while I know words won't take any of the sadness away, know that we are thinking of you and will keep your family in our prayers. Lots of hugs and puppy kisses from me and Emmett <3

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Oh Megan I am so so sorry. That poem always makes me tear up. Spike sends many many puppy kisses to you and Sherman.

Emily said...

Megan, I am so sorry. I know nothing I can say will easy the pain, but I want you to know how sorry I am. It is devistating when a life is abrubtly ended, especailly one of someone so close. She will be waiting for you. Good luck with the pain of her lose.

Erin said...

Man if ever a post made me cry it would be this one, I am SO SORRY to hear that,ditto to what Nat said, and Rei sends lots of kisses.

Anna said...

megan, I'm so sorry :-'( It's soo soo hard and I can't imagine my babies ever dieing even though I know it will happen someday- but to have life cut short by being hit by a car is unfair- but life isn't fair. I'm truly sorry Megan.
I can't imagine the emotions you're having right now.
~~Anna, who never met Prudy, but knows in her heart that she was one awesome and unique puppy dog

Ally and Eclipse said...

I am SO SORRY Megan! Tears are falling in Oregon as well as Colorado tonight for Prudy! I wish I could say something, anything to take the pain away, but I can't just know you're in my thoughts and prayers for the loss of your dear girl *hugs and puppy kisses from a couple not so puppies*

Jake and Joanna said...

I am so sorry. I don't really know what else to say. I'm just so sorry. My prayers will be with you tonight.

Sarah said...

Megan-
I can only echo what everyone else has said. I am really sorry and me and the I's will be thinking of you during this awful time.
Sarah

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

Megan,
I'm so, sorry, I can't even say. It's good that Prudy had a good life. My thoughts are with you.

Elizabeth

Career Changed Provo said...

Megan,
I so sorry to hear about Prudy. We are thinking & praying for you during this hard time. Provo sends puppy kisses your way.

MK said...

Megan, tears are falling here in PA too, even though I didn't know your beautiful girl either. It wasn't the Rainbow Bridge poem, but instead the beautiful, heartfelt post that you wrote. She'll still help you puppyraise, but from heaven now. Prudy truly did leave pawprints on your heart and I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

Sending hugs and puppy licks from the other side of the country,
-Magenta & Edgar

Brittany said...

Megan again I send my deepest sympathies for your loss of Prudy....there is just nothing anyone can say that will console you, but I hope you are feeling at least a little better.

Lisa and pups said...

Oh, I am SO sorry. My heart breaks for you. I just read this as I have intermitent internet access. I am so glad you have such treasured memories of her. Thinking of you in Kansas!

Tabatha said...

Megan...wow...Im sorry that it took me this long to respond!! I really need to stay on top of these blogs!! i AM so SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS!!! Tears are definetly falling here in Oregon as well. Wow...im sorry.

Angie said...

Oh, Megan, I just saw this and I am so, so sorry. I know you loved Prudy so much and I am sure she must have had a wonderful life in the love that you gave her. She sounds like a wonderful girl. Big puppy hugs from me and Nettie.

angie