Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Never an End to the Excitement

On Monday I got a little visitor named Journey. His raiser asked if I would puppy sit him for the day and of course I said yes. How could I deny that adorable face? Monday was labor day so my family had planned to go hiking since none of us had work or school. We left around ten thirty to go up Provo Canyon and hike to Johnson's Bowl. Here are the boys, Fullerton and Journey, in the car.
It was a very difficult hike, pretty steep and rocky the whole way. But it was so fun. Fuller really enjoyed it.

Journey seemed to have a good time too.
The hike took about 45 minutes and we hiked into this valley, it was so secluded and pretty.
Some scenery from the bowl.
Taking a break. This one cracked me up because it looks like Fuller is inspecting Journeys tongue.
We packed a picnic lunch and the boys, after getting nice big bowls of water, were content to chill for a while, while my family and I ate our lunch, PB&J Sandwiches, YUM!
On the way out I had to get some nice shots of the boy. . . calendar worthy?
It is HARD to get a pic with both boys looking so this is about the best I could do. I love Journeys face though. :D
When we got back down to the bottom I let the boys drink out of a faucet. So, here is a three way with Fuller, Journey and Moose (my brothers dog)
Oh, Fuller, you are so silly!
LinkLater that night Journeys raisers came back but they took my boy instead. We decided to do a puppy trade a week or so ago so I have had Journey since Monday and Fuller is with Hannah. We are trading back tomorrow.

Journey was so goofy and squirmed himself in between both of my dog beds. It gave me a good chuckle.
Journey at school waiting for my class to start.
Yesterday was a crazy day though. I got home from school around 11am and then was meeting a "long lost friend" who I haven't seen in about 2 years for lunch at 12pm. I went to lunch, took Journey with me had a good time reminiscing and catching up with my friend. I got home around 2pm and went into my room to do homework. At 5:30 my mom calls and asks if I am in the house, I say yes and she tells me to get the dog and get out of there NOW! She was a tad hysterical so I panicked a little, grabbed my purse and backpack and ran outside. As soon as I opened my bedroom door I could smell gas, it was bad. When I got outside it sounded like sprinklers were going off on the side of the house. But no, it wasn't sprinklers the hissing I heard was a burst gas pipe. The air outside smelled horrible! I guess the neighbors noticed it first around 2:15 but thought it was sprinklers so didn't investigate further but about 5:30 he went to get his mail and still heard it and looked. He came and banged on our door and rang the bell, which I can't hear in my room, and then called my mom. My mom then called me. When I got out my mom had just pulled up from work, she made me take my sisters to the park at the bottom of our street while she called the police and fire department. When the police got there they evacuated our whole street so we were all at the park. Nothing like neighborhood togetherness, eh?. :D Anyway, since I was in the house for at least three and a half hours while the gas was running the paramedics had to check me out and do a few tests. (I was feeling nauseous, lightheaded, and was shaking really bad, I wasn't sure if it was adrenaline or what so I agreed to get checked out) They said my oxygen levels were low and I had a bit of CO in my blood but that I would be okay, I just needed to sit down and drink lots of water. I signed a refusal form to be taken to the hospital and they let me go. (I wanted out of that Ambulance as fast as possible, the last time I was in one was not a pleasant experience and I was having some flashbacks. . . not fun!) I asked the paramedics if they would check on Journey, I wanted to be sure he was okay too since he was in the house with me and that I didn't damage someone else's dog. I felt SO bad. (I did call his raisers later that night when we were finally allowed back into our house I told them what happened because I felt so bad . . . I was probably more concerned for Journey than I was for myself. lol) Anyway, they looked him over and told me he would be fine, I gave him tons of water too, to flush out his system. He seems fine and is acting totally normal. He was a champ during this whole thing too, just want to say a kudos to him dealing with all the craziness and running around and sirens and firemen in full gear and the ambulance, what a good dog!!!!! We had to stay at the park for a few hours while the firemen cleared our house and got the gas and power to our house turned off. It was nuts!! I have probably left out a few details but I was so scared that I don't even remember it that well, weird how the brain does that. Anyway, here are some pictures: (I also used the pictures as photo evidence of why I didn't get my Geology paper done, I thought it was a pretty darn good excuse, so I now have till Friday to finish it, YAY!)

Firetruck going up to our house.
Another Firetruck going to our house. (I kinda wish Cannon could have been there, he would have been thrilled to see all the firetrucks and ambulances and police cars. ha ha)
The ambulance I got checked out in and a couple policemen and paramedics
Journey totally calm and collected while all the two leggers where running around in a panic.
The firemen gearing up to go in our house.

So, ya, wow, still can't really believe that happened.

My last picture: it cracks me up how Journey sleeps on his back. I love when dogs do that, unfortunately Fuller never does. Oh well, thought I would end with a happy picture. :D


Hobbes Dogs said...

Glad you're all ok!

Carrie and Waffle said...

wow glad to hear that you are ok, what a scary experience.

Natalie said...

Wow I am so glad you, your family and Journey are all safe!! That is terrifying, and definitely a good reason to not have a paper finished ;) Hope you have a much more calm week :) lol

Cabana's Puppy Raiser said...

That is SO scary about the gas leak. I'm glad everyone is okay.

On a happier note, I love the photos of Journey--what a sweet looking dog. It's funny that Fullerton doesn't ever lay on his back like that. So interesting how each dog has their own little "things" to them.

Hannah and Journey said...

Those are some awesome photos of Fuller and Journey up in the mountains. It also cracked me up how my boy squished himself in between your dog beds. I glad you and him where okay after the gas leak. Hope you had fun with him.

Princess Coral said...

OMG! What an experience!!! Glad you are OK, and what a good puppy!

Lauren and Spike said...

Wow! I'm glad you guys are okay!

I love the pictures you took of Journey and Fullerton. It looks like they both had fun!

Taelor and Pilaf said...

Whoah. What a crazy and hectic day! Glad to hear that you neighbors thought to call your mom. I cant imaging what would have happened if you didn't!

Great job Journey for being such a good boy! =D

Lisa and Ellie said...

WOW - what a wild experience. Glad you and Journey are okay! And, good for you for getting photo evidence. Only a puppy raiser would! :D

Oh, and, what's with the yellow firetruck???

Emily and the Labradors said...

More beautiful hikes with awesome dogs and less scary gas leaks and ambulances please! What an experience you had... so glad to hear that you were ok though. That is totally nuts! But good boy Journey :)

Lauren and Don said...

So glad everyone is ok! What a frightening day you guys had! Sort of off the post's topic, but... as a first time, teen raiser for GDB, I'm hoping to take Don to school. Do you have any tips for approaching the school administration & teachers?

Martha G said...

That's an experience Journey's raiser can record in his going back to school paperwork! The trainers will be impressed! I'm glad everyone is okay.

I love the pictures. A lot of them are calendar worthy.