PitaPata Dog tickers

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Future looks Cloudy. . .

So, Spanky had his evaluation with my CFR yesterday. He did really well during the eval, we had all our club pups their plus a few others from different clubs (including Bracken who is Burgess' brother he is really cute and minded really well) We started with going around and introducing us and our dogs and their ages and then we took a walk down State Street (busy street) so she could see how all the dogs reacted to traffic because there was one puppy in particular who had trouble with traffic noises. After that we went back and told the best thing our pups did and the worst thing. Spankys best thing is that he is great out in public and knows exactly what I expect of him and his worst thing is that he is not the brightest crayon in the box. He is kind of thick and it takes him a while to "get it" it can be frustrating at times! Anywho, then we went out to the parking lot and my CFR and leader turned on their cars and we had the dogs walk around them and then get in and out of the car. Spanky had no problem, he didn't even notice the car turn on and he loves to jump so he loved jumping in and out of the car. After that we worked on recalls. And then we were free to go. Except, I knew that my CFR wanted to talk to me about Spanky after the meeting so I hung back to talk to her. We discussed some of Spankys issues and she thinks that a career change is in his future. She has to talk to Pat at Guide Dogs and see if they should bring him into training or if they should just cc him. My CFR said that it would most likely be a cc. Especially because the string of dogs going the end of October is going to be in the new accelerated learning pilot program and she thinks that Spanky would crush under the pressure of that. So, I don't know when I will know for sure because I know she is here for a few more days placing the high school program dogs so probably not until the end of next week. I am sad though. If he does end up being cc'd then that will be four in a row. . . Can one of my dogs PLEASE graduate!!?!?!? My CFR was also telling me that she thinks his first raiser would take him back so if that happens I will still keep him until the end of October and then put him on the puppy truck to be delivered to Colorado, so that would be nice for him not having to go to Oregon and then back. That's about it from here. Sorry nothing more upbeat. . .

12 comments:

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Ahh Megan! I'm really sorry about this news. I've never had one graduate, but after four career changes, I think I would be really hurting for a graduate. :( One career change is quite enough for me! Good luck!

thepuppyraiser said...

Agh, I'm sorry! It would appear that we are in a similar boat--what is with our June puppies? Must have been something in the water ;)

We'll be thinking of you guys...

Brittany said...

Bummer! I am sure you and Spanky tried your hardest, and that he will make a great pet (if it comes to that). I can't wait to hear about your next puppy though!

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. :( I hope everything works out okay and that your next puppy can become a guide! It's hard to get a few CC's in a row.

Emily said...

Ahh no!! I;m so sorry about Spanky. I hope everything works out for him, and you don't have to have 4 cc's in a row! That would be horrible, but good job for still sticking with it and continuing to raise these amazing dogs!

Emily and the Labradors said...

Well, gee. That's not the news I was hoping for at all! Especially since it sounds like the actual evaluation went to well too. I'll cross my fingers that whatever is best for Spanky will be what happens.

Madison said...

I'm sorry! :( Have fun with him in the short time you have left! Don't worry its not you some dogs just arn't roses and you can't make hem into them! :)

Katlynn and Ryder said...

Ahh, No!!! I am so sorry to hear that Spanky may be CC`d. I am sure he`ll choose the right career for him and I guess we just have to be happy with that choice. Anyway really admire you for raising these pups though you have had 4 CC`d in a row. Keep up the good work!

Lisa and pups said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry. Such a heartbreak.

I will say that at an informational booth we had today, I had someone asking about Dogs 4 Diabetics and I told her all about Sherman and the program (or what I knew about it). She is going to be contacting them for her daughter! Any news on Sherman's progress?

Gerda said...

Keep us posted. At CCI dogs that we never thought would graduate did and those who should of graduated didn't. We have a saying at CCI that its not over until you hand over the leash to the graduate. That being said, I know how disappointing it is as I've had three not make it. I've got a perfect score (of not raising graduates). Even if he doesn't graduate you've done a great job and just bringing him out in public raised awareness and helped the program be successful.

Princess Coral said...

Hi Megan & Sapnky,

Thank you for reading my blog!!! Yes, please feel free to link mine, and can I link to yours?

Sorry that Spanky may be cc'd... But if guiding is not his cup of tea, to's better to find out sooner so he won't have to go through the stress of formal training! My first match, Shelby was a perfect guide until the day she was cc'd almost on the spot!!! It was only 2 days before graduation. The trainers said that she may have not been able to handle the stress of the intensive training & changes. However, she was such a strong impression to me!

N & Coral

Carlo said...

Hi Megan,

Just read the comment you left on my blog. Sorry to hear about Spanky. But, being a COC dog isn't all that bad :-) My puppy raiser had 4 released dogs in a row... it really bummed her out, but she is happy that all of "her" dogs are still doing wonderful things with their new careers!

I'm glad you discovered my blog... and yes, feel free to link to it!

Carlo (COC CCI dog)