PitaPata Dog tickers

Friday, January 8, 2010

Phase. . .WHAT?!?!?!

I was very surprised when I opened up the phase report this morning. I checked it about 12 times before I believed what it said. But, Fullerton is in phase 6!! Who needs phase 4 and 5 anyway? :D I can't even describe how happy I am. . . and relieved, I was starting to get REALLY nervous and worried. I am still worried because he still has 4 phases to do but I am so much less worried than before. He is over half way there now, I am so proud of my boy. Keep it up Fullerton!! Here is what he has been up to on campus the last couple weeks:

Phase #4

  • Progression of guide work training: more difficult sidewalks in busier sections of downtown areas
  • Training on more complex street crossings and curbs
  • Obstacle clearance initiated by the dogs; they begin to guide their mobility instructors through the campus obstacle course
  • Preliminary obedience testing and evaluation of the dogs' reactions to head collars

Phase #5

  • Preliminary guide work testing with the mobility instructor under blindfold
  • Complete veterinary history review
  • More challenging guide work training environments (pedestrian traffic, stairs, different flooring surfaces, etc.)
Phase #6
  • Guide work routes in difficult and challenging work environments (heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic areas, wide crossings, hectic atmospheres, etc.)
  • Introduction to sidewalkless areas and rounded curbs
  • Continued work in malls, stores and buildings, with increasing exposure to varying sights, sounds and smells
  • Lessons in advanced guide work skills, such as moving turns
  • Introduction to "intelligent disobedience" (dogs learn to refuse to obey a command if it is unsafe to execute)
  • Advanced obedience training

7 comments:

Rebecca, Ely and Joe said...

Yay Fullerton!!! Keep on speeding through those phases!

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

WOW!
Congrats Fullerton, keep it up!

Toby's Trainer
SEGDI Raiser

Sarah and the Pack. said...

You probably have the instructor who forgets to change their phases. All the raisers start freaking out and then all the sudden the dogs jump up 2 or 3 phases. I am so glad he is cruising along with everyone else now! Who knows...maybe he and Millie will be in the same class!

Mitch and Julimae said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maddie, Betsy, Jorinda, and Petuina said...

Wow, go Fullerton, go! I love watching them fly! I'm sure he will be to 10 in no time :)!

Also, I was wondering where you got the green leather to make the green leash? I want to make one for Betsy as a 4-H project, if you don't mind of course!

Martha G said...

I agree with Sarah, this happens a lot to dogs I've watched go through phases. I'm also not surprised to see Fullerton climbing - he strikes me as a dog who is going to go somewhere.

Unknown said...

Go Fullerton. His brother is rooting from CA. At least Forte isn't completely lost in limbo, I do know where he is. (Same comment as before, for some reason I selected Anon.)