PitaPata Dog tickers

Friday, April 18, 2008

Airport Outing and stuff . . .

The airport meeting was a lot of fun. I am glad that I went and I think Sherman had a good time. We started by going into the hanger and getting on this really tiny plane that had some super steep and skinny stairs. Sherman was awesome and went right up. Then they had us all sit in a seat and get our dog settled. Since Sherman is so small he fit just fine. Here is a picture of him sitting on the plane.

and here is Me and Sherman on the little plane. (I have a bit of claustrophobia so it was a bit uncomfortable for me, but Sherman was just fine. :)
While we were on the plane the had someone talk on the intercom and go through the isle with those drink carts and they flashed the over head lights and beeped the seat belt lights (the ones that do the little bong sound, if that makes sense), and even turned the plane on (not the engines I think, just enough that it made some noise and shuddered a bit) And Sherman didn't even bat an eye. He was superb. Then the next step was getting off the plane. Going down the scary stairs is a bit harder than going up but Sherman did very well too. I had him come down after me because the stairs were so narrow that we both couldn't really get down at the same time. I was very proud of how well he did. :)

After that we went into this room that was all grates. Sherman started walking in so his front feet were on the grates and did fine until his back legs went on and then he realized that the floor was a grate and walked with his feet all spread out, it was pretty funny to watch his realization of what he was walking on. He did really wonderfully and walked around just fine. After that we went through a security door that talked to you, it said "Please close the door." if you held it open too long and it said that as me and Sherman walked through and he looked up at the door frame. He had the goofiest expression on his face but didn't seem afraid or anything. I had to laugh. Then we went up these open stairs that had gaps between the stairs and on the sides. Sherman had a few issues with open stairs when he was little but he was a master and went right up and down then with no problem and then we went on an elevator, he has been on one a million times so he didn't care at all. Then we sat around and talked for a while. It was so much fun.

There was also a working guide there. A humongous Black labby named Alcatraz. I loved watching him work and he was beautiful (handsome) He seemed very at home with all the puppies like remembering his youth. :) I also love watching guides work because it reminds me that the dogs are never perfect and still do some silly things. (Not that Alcatraz did naughty things, just a general observation)

Sherman chilling while we raisers talk. . .

Hobbs and Sherman.

Overall I think it was a very successful outing and it exposed my pup to things he probably wont experience until he is with his blind person, and he did magnificent. All of the pups did. Oh, here is a funny little observation, there were like ten black labs there and two yellow labs, I just thought that was funny since in the past it is usually yellow labs that dominate. . .I guess that is why GDB is trying to breed more yellow pups. :S

AND. . . I have finally heard about Sage. Thanks to Lindsey (Thanks a bunch) I hope she doesn't mind me quoting her but. . . here is what she has to say about Sage. :)

"Hi Megan,

Just thought you'd like to know about Sage...

She was started in Durango...then in November she went to GDB for Japan to look at her as a breeder for them. She was one of the few dogs who DID pass her heart exam and all the other exams...anyway, Japan picked her to be one of their breeders...and in the process of waiting for everything to be cleared to go to Japan, GDB decided she had too soft of a trachea to be a breeder.
She is now in the SLC school program. I taught the kids in the program today and she is a sweetheart. "


She sounds like an awesome puppy. And it is super cool that Japan chose her, to bad it didn't work out though. I had no idea she was in the high school raising program here in Utah, that is really neat too. So, I am hoping to get to meet her in June when we have a guide dog workshop. They are both (Sage and Sherman) being recalled that day so I really want to meet her. She sounds a lot like her big bro. Shermanator. :) She is so cute too, looks like her sister Samantha. I hope that she does well in training. And here is a pic of the cute little girl (she has Sherms eyes too)

7 comments:

Hannah and Hayden said...

When did Sherman's sister go into the SLC High School program. Thats so cool that you go to finally hear about Sage.

Emily said...

Sounds like an awesome meeting!! I must admit I am a little jealous...

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Sounds like an awesome meeting at the airport!! Sage is beautiful! Too bad it didn't work out with becoming a breeder. Glad Sherman did so well at the airport, what a good boy!

Lisa and pups said...

WOW - what an amazing experience. Wish we could do something like that here. That sounds like you guys covered SO much ground. How neat to hear about Sage (that's my kitties name!).

Hobbes Dogs said...

That sounds like a really awesome meeting - I'd love to do something like that.

Emily and the Labradors said...

Sounds like a really great meeting! Sage is darling too!

Anna said...

Yay for hearing about other pups in the litter!!!! And I loved the pictures from the airport outing!