PitaPata Dog tickers

Monday, June 30, 2008

First Session down and some bad news. . .

Our first session is done! I think it went really well. Of course we had a few hiccups and some very stressful and frustrating moments but we all pulled through okay. This first session was a family camp and I was co-counselor with a VI guy named Rambo. It was fun working with him he is a really sweet guy. We were in charge of three families one had two VI kids, the other one VI kid and the third was a completely blind boy. It was so great to get to know them and see how excited they were for all the activities. I had a very fun week. :)

Today is Spankys birthday so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY FAVORITE BLACK LABBY NAMED SPANKY!!!! I don't have anything really fun planned I got a few new toys for him and he will wear his silly birthday hat too. Right now he is curled up in a ball sleeping on the floor in the arms of a guy named Hercules. He is such a sweet doggie and I think in the last week we have really bonded. I love this boy!! (Okay, so I tried to upload pics but the Internet connection is supremely slow so I may have to wait until after I get home from camp in August and post one big picture post.)

Now for the bad news:

DOG: 40M0 - Sherman M\LAB\Black - TRN\REL DOB:1/20/2007
LOCATION: SR
DISPOSITION: Update
MANAGEABLE COMPANION: No
RELEASED DATE: 6/27/2008
PLACEMENT:
SUMMARY: Sherman is an average-sized male black lab. He is a very willing, manageable and attentive dog. He is affectionate and playful, but settles very well
when asked and has an average energy level. Very good house behavior when home for a night with instructor- appropriate with older pet dog.
Sherman has adjusted well to the kennel and has done nicely with a couple different roommates. He plays well with other dogs. He received little formal
training at GDB, but has very good basic obedience and manners. I feel that he would be suitable for any sort of placement, including community/special
placement.
Sherman was CCʼd for soft trachea. He is currently eating 2c BID of SD L&R, and is on no medications.
RELEASE REASON(S): 10014 - MED: Trachea, sensitive

I am way bummed about Sherman being CC'd. He was my perfect puppy and I so looked forward to seeing him in harness. He is also my first medical CC and I just want to say it SUCKS because he is such a great dog. I have to wait until I have cell phone reception later today before I can call GDB to decide on placement for him. I so wish I could keep him, I have cried lots of tears the last few days because I know he can't come home. I hope he finds the perfect place for him, it sounds like GDB really likes him though he got a very good report. I am so proud of my boy and want him to be in the best place for him. I know GDB will find him the perfect home. That's about it for now. Talk to you all later.

19 comments:

Emily said...

O, I am so sorry about Sherman being CC'd. It must be hard to have a dog dropped for medical reasons. Congrats to both of you for a job well done though, he sounds like an excellent boy. I'm sure GDB will find him the perfect home!

Katlynn and Ryder said...

I am so sorry to hear about Sherman`s CC. Don`t worry I am sure GDB will find a great home for him. On another note glad you and Spanky are having fun at camp!

Coreena said...

Oh Megan! I'm so sorry to hear about the sweet boy's CC! Hugs to you from Oregon!

Lisa and pups said...

Oh Megan, how heartbreaking. I'm so sorry! Sherman is a wonderful boy and whoever gets him will be so thrilled and forever grateful to you. I'm sorry you can't keep him. My thoughts are with you! Sounds like GDB thought very highly of Sherm and your work with him.

Jake and Joanna said...

I'm SO sorry about Sherman!!! It was nice kind of meeting you today!! I couldn't really tell Spanky apart from all the other black labbies running around, so we'll have to get together at another one of your breaks! :)

MK said...

Sounds like your first session was a blast! I hope Camp keeps running smoothly for you and Spanky. And of course... Happy FIRST Birthday, Spanky! I hope your mom gives you a bunch of extra hugs and kisses.

I'm SO sorry about Sherman. I think we all can agree medical CC's SUCK! I hope GDB places him quickly and in the most amazing home ever. Maybe his new family can even put his great personality and obedience to work in another way.

The Puppy Raising Roller Coaster said...

Im so sorry to hear about Sherman. Having a puppy released hurts no matter the reason. Here is hoping that he finds his perfect home and that you get updates from him.

Hannah and Hayden said...

Megan I am so sorry to hear about Sherman. He would have made an amazing guide dog. Hope he finds a wonderful home.

Emily and the Labradors said...

No! No! No! I used to think a medical career change would be easier, but now I think it would be harder... a dog that was meant to be a guide can't be because of something beyond his control :( I'm so sorry, and so sorry that you can't take him back, but I know he will end up in the right place. I wonder if he could be considered for K-9 buddy? Happy Birthday to your other S boy and glad to hear that camp is going well!

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Ahh Megan! I'm so sorry about Sherman! He sounds like such an awesome boy. :( Medical stuff sucks, big time. I'm sure he will make an awesome pet!

I'm glad that camp is going well. :)

Natalie said...

Aww oh no :( I'm so sorry about Sherm's cc, it sounds like he would've made an excellent guide. But as you said, I'm sure GDB will find the perfect home for him, especially with his glowing report!

Happy birthday SPANKY! Glad to hear you are having fun at camp!

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

Happy birthday, Spanky! :) He'll be going back before too long, huh?

So sorry about the bad news. Sherman sounded like he would have been a great guide dog. It sounds like they really like him, so that's good. It's sad when they get CC'd for something out of your/their control. :(

Denise said...

Sooo know how you are feeling sometimes I still can't believe Oceana has a medical problem she is such a active puppy.

Give Spanky a big happy Birthday Hug

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

I am so sorry!

Sarah and the Pack. said...

Oh man, i am so sorry to hear about Sherman! That sucks that is was nothing that was done, just a medical thing out of your control. It does sound like GDB really liked him and that they will find him an awesome home.

Carrie and Waffle said...

aaaawwwww Shermie, sorry to hear the news, it never is easy to get that email. But you know a lot of kids change their majors in college, so lets hope he finds something else he would like to do. I think 'k-9' buddies sounds like lots of fun.

Happy B-day to Mr. Spanky take lots of photos with the hat on and stay cool, it is supposed to be a warm one!

Anna said...

Awwww Sherman! I hate those medical cc's!!! Brings back sad memories.... But I know that GDB will find him a fantastic home, as the always do.

Happy Birthday Spanky!!! I'm so glad he's having a good time!!!!

Madison said...

I am sorry about Sherman! I seems hard having a dog dropped for medical! GDB will find him a GREAT home! OH, and happy B-day Spanky!!!!

Gerda said...

I am so sorry to hear about sherman but there is nothing you can do about it. My first CCI dog was a medical release after 6 months of advanced training after I turned her back in. I know that he will have a great home.