PitaPata Dog tickers

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

30 for 30-Day 16 (The History of my Pups)

I thought for today's post I would tell y'all about all my puppies. Sorry if this is horribly boring but too bad. :)


Prudy was my first puppy. She was born May 1, 2002 and I received her the end of June that year. I enjoyed raising Prudy and we went through a lot together. I raised Prudy during my senior year of high school and my first couple semesters of college together. We were also in a car accident together that I almost died in and Prudy wouldn't leave my side while we were in the hospital. She went through a split season my first summer with her so she was around a year old. Back then we boarded females in season at the vet so I dropped her off for her month long stay while being in heat. After the longest month EVER I got to go pick up my girl when she was finished with her heat. A week later while at a puppy meeting I noticed blood again. Not good. . . she went and spent another month at the vet for her second month of heat and after that she was spayed. So after 2 1/2 months of being at the vet I got back a fat, lazy puppy who forgot all her training. I kept her until she was almost 21 months old to get her back into shape before she left for training. When she was in training she made it to phase 8 out of 10 before being career changed for separation anxiety and relieving in harness. I got the call that she was cc'd and the next day was on my way to pick her up and make her my pet. She was an amazing pet and I loved every second with her. Unfortunately she passed away when she was six and I miss her every day.
Prudy and her brother Patriot the day they arrived at 8 weeks old.
5 year old Prudy in the snow.

My 2nd puppy was Tahoma. She was born May 5, 2004. She was always a sassy and stubborn little girl and I really loved her. She was a tough puppy and challenged me a lot, especially after mellow, easy Prudy. Tahoma was incredibly smart and I knew she had great potential. She left for formal training 4 days after her first birthday. After about four months Tahoma was pulled for breeding. She had a litter of seven puppies the end of November and after they were weaned she went back into training to be a guide. She cruised through training and then graduated as a working guide dog. She is now working in Ohio with a blind Rabbi and spends 2 months a year in Israel and also travels around the east coast so her partner can officiate at weddings. He teaches at a college so she goes there as well and all his students just love her.
Tahoma at 9 months.
Tahoma in harness.

Glennie was number 3. She was born September 27, 2005. She was my first transfer puppy so I got her when she was 5 months old. She was also the first puppy I raised while living in California. She had some issues to work through and I was up for the challenge. She was food and toy aggressive and didn't like going out in public. She made wonderful improvements during our short time together but being a guide was just never in the cards for this girl. She was career changed at 6 1/2 months and is now living as a pet in California.
Beautiful white Glennie 5 months old.
Glennie sleeping in the sun.

#4 was Adeline. She was born October 25, 2005 and I got her as a transfer puppy too, she was a little over 5 months when I got her. She was a great dog and we hit it off immediately. She was a sweet dog and loved to go out and about and meet new people. She was also about the happiest dog I've ever had, her enthusiasm was contagious and she always put a smile on my face. She left for formal training at 17 months old and was quickly career changed for a fear of men which shocked me. She is now living with her first raiser and is a therapy dog and runs agility as well. She loves her life and is in the perfect place for her.
Adeline at my work at 8 months old.
Adeline showing off her jumping skills in the Agility arena.

My 5th puppy was Sherman. He was my first male and I was really nervous about that. My fears were ill founded though as Sherman was just about the best puppy in the world! I absolutely fell in love with this cuddle bug. He was a mellow, go-with-the-flow dog and took everything in stride. When he left for formal training I had no doubt he wouldn't be a guide dog, but I was wrong as he was career changed for soft trachea. Bummer! I would have kept him in a heartbeat but he is the type of dog who needed a job so I asked if there was another school that would take him. A few days later he was taken into the Dogs4Diabetics program and after almost a year of training he graduated as a medical alert dog. WooHoo!! He is a happy working dog and his partner is just perfect for him.
Sherman at 8 weeks.
Sherman enjoying his new job.

Spanky was my 6th puppy. He was a transfer that I got at 11 months. I raised him while I worked at a summer camp for blind and VI kids. He was a great camp dog and all the kids loved him. We did have an ongoing battle with my socks. He ate 12 pairs of my socks while I had him and I still to this day can't figure out how he got them. He was career changed before he made it to formal training for some fear issues and is now a very loved pet in Oregon.
Spanky 4 months.
Spanky at 14 months.

Well, that's all I have patience for now, so the rest will be tomorrow. :) Enjoy!

5 comments:

Brittany said...

Lol, I can't believe how young we are in the picture with the P puppies! I can't believe that was almost 9 years ago.

Megan and Pasta said...

Oh, I loved reading this! Thanks for sharing. Very sad about your first pup passing away so young, though. Pasta's almost 6.

Elijah said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Erin said...

I remember coming across your blog for the first time when you had Adeline! How time flies!

Beth and Alfie said...

With my recent move I haven't read blogs in ages -- glad I took the time to read this one! What fun! I love how each puppy you have raised has been such an individual. What amazing work you've done...